Carbon monoxide leak in furnace kills husband, sickens wife

Text Size

Share this page on any of these social networking sites:
Share this page on any of these social networking sites: LinkedIn

 

Advertise with Trial

Stand out from the crowd! Advertise in Trial  to reach a national audience of major decision-makers who are looking for products and services to improve their legal practices.

Learn more »

Verdicts & Settlements: Negligence

October 8, 2009

Carbon monoxide leak in furnace kills husband, sickens wife 

In late 2007, Corbin Comfort Systems, Inc., serviced the furnace in Alberta and Harmon Hall’s house and told them it was safe. Shortly after, Alberta, 76, awoke during the night to discover Harmon, 78, unconscious. Alberta was able to call 911 before losing consciousness in the hallway. Emergency technicians arrived to find Harmon on the bedroom floor in cardiac arrest. He died shortly after arriving at the hospital and is survived by Alberta and two adult daughters.

Alberta was diagnosed with carbon monoxide poisoning and treated with 100 percent oxygen. She recovered within three days, incurring about $26,200 in medical expenses. An investigation determined that the carbon monoxide level in the Halls’ house was dangerously high, at 600 parts per million.

Alberta, individually and on behalf of Harmon’s estate, sued Corbin Comfort, alleging its employees negligently inspected and repaired the furnace, allowing carbon monoxide to leak out.

The company contended the furnace was not the source of the carbon monoxide.

The parties settled during discovery for the company’s $1 million policy limit.

Citation: Hall v. Corbin Comfort Sys., Inc., No. 2008CV11146D (Ga., Clayton Co. June 8, 2009).

Plaintiff counsel: AAJ member Peter A. Law and Gary M. Shapiro, both of Atlanta.


The American Association for Justice
777 6th Street, NW, Ste 200 • Washington, DC  20001 • 800.424.2725 or 202.965.3500

© 2014 AAJ