Richard D. Hailey Scholarship
AAJ’s Minority Caucus will award a $5,000 scholarship to a minority Law Student member who is entering his/her first, second, or third year of law school. The winner will be provided travel and accommodations to attend the AAJ Annual Convention in Denver, Colorado.
The 2018 scholarship cycle is now open. All scholarship applications are due May 1, 2018.
The scholarship will be awarded to the applicant who best:
- Exhibits an interest and proficiency of skills in trial advocacy
- Expresses a desire to represent those who have been injured by the negligence or misconduct of others
- Promotes accountability and safety
- Demonstrates a commitment to AAJ and dedication to its mission through involvement in an AAJ student chapter and Minority Caucus activities
- Shows a financial need for the scholarship
Applications must include the following:
- A resumé
- A 500-word essay on how you meet the criteria
- Up to three (3) recommendations from a faculty adviser, trial advocacy professor, dean, AAJ member, or trial lawyer; and
- A completed form verifying your student status. Download the form.
Every applicant must be an AAJ law student member (join here) and enrolled in an ABA accredited law school. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Submit applications to:
AAJ Membership Department
777 6th Street NW
Washington, DC 20001
For more information, contact the AAJ Membership Department at 800-424-2727 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
To donate to the Richard D. Hailey Scholarship fund, visit www.justice.org/haileyscholarship.
Congratulations to the winner of the 2017 Richard D. Hailey Scholarship:
Asma Jaber, Harvard Law School
Boston College Law School
Luis Beltran, University of California, Hastings College of Law
Shevonne S. Greene, Fordham University School of Law
University of Missouri, School of Law
Emory Law School
St. Louis University, School of Law
St. Louis, MO
Benjamin Cardozo School of Law
New York, NY
University of Illinois, College of Law
Howard University, School of Law