With over 400 members and growing, Paralegal Affiliates are dedicated to networking, membership, and education.
Kim M. Martel
Each year, an outstanding paralegal is chosen as Paralegal of the Year. The 2020 winner is Kim Martel, a senior litigation paralegal with over 40 years of experience in medical malpractice litigation, bankruptcy, real estate, personal injury, workers’ compensation, estates and trusts, and criminal law. Kim has participated in several jury trials, presented for AAJ Education’s on-demand paralegal training series, and served on the Board of Directors of the Maryland Association of Paralegals as the Administrative Vice-President.
Paralegal of the Year
View Past Winners
- 2019 Recipient - Lisa West
- 2018 Recipient - Alesia Emison
- 2017 Recipient - Amy Johnson
- 2016 Recipient - Patti Artavia
- 2015 Recipient - Christine Flynn
- 2014 Recipient - Regina Valenti
- 2013 Recipient - Dennyce Korb
- 2011 Recipient - Christina Koch
- 2009 Recipient - Linda Whipple
- 2008 Recipient - Lori Tracoma
- 2007 Recipient - Natalie Andrus
- 2006 Recipient - Julie D. Hunt
- 2005 Recipient - Julie L. McLaughlin
Nomination and Criteria
A candidate must be nominated by an AAJ Attorney Member in good standing or by another AAJ Paralegal Affiliate. The 2020 nomination period has closed.
Judges look for the following qualities/experience:
1) Contributions to the paralegal profession by:
Teaching or tutoring paralegal students
Speaking at seminars and conventions on issues concerning the profession
Mentoring paralegal students
Displaying commitment and providing services to professional organizations such as local and national paralegal associations
Writing articles for legal publications
2) Commitment to continuing legal education
3) Commitment to community through volunteering
Judges also look for candidates who have demonstrated their value as members of a legal services team, shown dedication to the legal profession, and shown dedication to AAJ's mission.
Learn about Advocate Capital, Inc.
Please visit www.advocatecapital.com!
Join the list server to stay up-to-date with the group’s activities and events. Join the list server