Minimum Requirements for AAJ Mentors:
- Commit to serve for one year as a mentor to one or more law students.
- Meet with the student(s) at least every 4-6 weeks.
- Allow the student(s) to "shadow" you at least three days throughout the year, possibly
observing you with clients or in court.
- Once you have agreed to serve as a mentor to one or more law students, please provide
your name and the student name(s) to firstname.lastname@example.org
Additional ways AAJ mentors help students:
- Speak at AAJ law student chapter meetings
- Speak at a career panel at the local law school
- Coach a law school team for AAJ's Student Mock Trial Competition
- Invite students to attend depositions, courtroom hearings and similar events
- Critique resumes of law students seeking employment
- Participate in a mock employment interview with students
- Assist students with networking for clerkships or other employment positions
- Talk to students about your area of practice and give general career planning advice
- Provide job networking suggestions for students relocating to another city
- Invite a student to spend a day at your office
- Let a student work on a project for you
- Participate in the law student/mentor reception held at each AAJ Convention
Serving as a mentor is a wonderful opportunity to share your knowledge with law students in your community. Become an AAJ law student mentor today.