Friday, January 18
(Continental breakfast provided)
8:00 am–8:45 am
8:45 am–12:15 pm
The New Social Security Climate—How to Survive and Thrive
• Trends in Administrative Law Judge (ALJ) decisions
• Dealing with the new ALJ identity policy
• Responding to client’s inquiries about the Social Security Trust Fund and the
future of their benefits
• Demographics and the future of Social Security Practice
Breakout Group Sessions:
• Advanced Practitioners: Managing Your Firm’s Social Security Disability Practice
- How will faster Social Security Administration (SSA) processing impact cash flow?
- Managing associates and staff—caseloads and tasks
- How much time and expense per case can you afford?
• New Practitioners: Nuts & Bolts of a Social Security Disability Practice
- What are the various types of disability claims that can be filed with the SSA?
- What are the levels of appeal?
- How do you use the Grids and other SSA regulations to win cases?
Use Adobe Acrobat and Your Computer to Take Efficient Case Handling to the Next Level
Lunch (on your own)
12:15 pm–1:15 pm
1:15 pm–5:15 pm
AAJ Public Affairs Update: What AAJ is Doing for Your Social Security Practice
Social Security Administration Staff: How to Sign Up for Electronic Payment, Use ERE, and Other Helpful Tips
Immigration Issues Confronted by the Social Security Practitioner
Ethical Considerations (ethics)
• The ethics of marketing, including how you can use Social Security images
• The ethics of competition with non-attorney representatives
• What is your competitive edge over non-attorney reps and how to capitalize on it?
• Using your Bar Association to your advantage
5:15 pm–6:15 pm
Saturday, January 19
(Continental breakfast provided)
8:00 am–12:15 pm
You Won, But SSA Did Not Withhold Your Fee! Tips and Tricks for Dealing with the SSA Payment Center and How to Collect Your Attorney Fee
Defusing Vocational Bombs
• ALJ “simple 1 and 2 step process” hypotheticals
• Transferability of skills—Review of top 10 job qualifications
• How to effectively quantify non-external impairments and their impact on work in your
hypotheticals. What is the best way to prove your client is disabled?
• Participants’ Case Specific Question and Answer Session
Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh My! How to Effectively Integrate SSD Claims with Long Term Disability, Medicaid/Medicare, VA, and Worker’s Compensation Claims
• Managing your client’s expectations
• Beware of offsets
• Ethical Considerations
LUNCH (on your own)
12:15 pm–1:30 pm
1:30 pm–3:30 pm
An Introduction to Veterans Administration (VA) Claims and the VA Claims Process for Social Security Practitioners
With many of our service men and women returning home with disabilities, the Social Security Disability (SSD) practitioner should be aware of the basic time limitations and VA terms as they relate to the denial of service-connected disability compensation benefits. This lecture will help the SSD practitioner provide each client with some basic advice as it relates to service-connected disability compensation benefits.
10 Ethical and Effective Marketing Tips You Cannot Live Without (ethics)
Earn approximately 11* CLE and NCA credits, including 2 hours of ethics, to be applied to your participation in the NCA's Achievement Recognition Program. For more general CLE information consult the CLE coordinator at 800.622.1791, ext. 8612.
Professional Recognition Programs
Click here to learn more about AAJ's Professional Recognition Programs, Achievement Recognition Program (ARP) and Advanced Studies in Trial Advocacy (ASTA), or call 800.622.1791 or 202.965.3500, ext. 8612.
The Achievement Recognition Program (ARP) provides Advocate, Fellow, and Diplomate recognition to AAJ members. To gain ARP credits, submit a certificate of attendance for every seminar, college, and convention you attend.
* Number of credits may vary depending on calculation method used by individual state accreditation agencies. AAJ is a State Bar of California MCLE-approved provider.