Join AAJ's team today.
We Are Hiring. Apply Today!
The American Association for Justice is the world’s largest trial bar and seeks to promote a fair and effective civil justice system—and to support the work of attorneys in their efforts to ensure that any person who is injured by the misconduct or negligence of others can obtain justice in America’s courtrooms, even when taking on the most powerful interests. Join the mission-driven, high energy team today!
AAJ offers competitive benefits for full-time employees, including:
- Generous paid leave
- Health Coverage through CareFirst for employees and their dependants
- Dental and vision coverage
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
- Life insurance and AD&D
- Long- and short-term disability coverage
- 401(k), including a 100% employer match up to the first 5% of employee contribution
- Parking and transit subsidies
- Tuition and fitness reimbursements
- Other company social events
The American Association for Justice is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Join Our Team
Accounts Receivable (AR) Assistant for American Association for Justice Political Action Committee (AAJ PAC)
The American Association for Justice (AAJ®), formerly the Association of Trial Lawyers of America (ATLA®), is seeking an entry level Accounts Receivable (AR) Assistant for its Political Action Committee (PAC). The PAC Accounting Assistant processes cash receipts from contributions and is responsible for record keeping, reconciliation and maintenance of the donor database.
AAJ PAC is looking for an Accounts Receivable (AR) Assistant to:
- Process contributions and maintain reconciliations for a $5 million+ Political Action Committee (PAC).
- Daily maintenance of donor database for the AAJ PAC, its fifty state affiliates, and their respective PACs.
- Monthly Import of mass transactions for state affiliates with a larger number of donors.
- Produce and distribute monthly analytical income reports for state affiliates and AAJ PAC.
- Research and resolve contributor inquiries and adjustments by contacting contributors, financial institutions, state Trial Lawyer Associations, and state PACs.
- Assist Finance in preparation of monthly reconciliations between reported PAC revenue and monies received.
- Adhere to strict monthly processing deadlines.
- Monthly Declines-run decline report and sends declines to states. AAJ PAC declines send using magnet mail, and email.
- Vet contributions on a case by case basis. Contact individual PAC contributor regarding their status when filing with the IRS (corporation, partnership, S. Corp., etc.) sending additional partnership forms. In some cases, return check and ask for a contribution from their personal funds.
- Perform and complete other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field.
- 1-2 years accounting experience (preferably in accounts receivable or with PAC administration).
- Experience with accounting software or Netforum database.
- Proficiency in Microsoft applications, particularly Excel. Experience with data manipulation and conducting analysis using Microsoft Excel.
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail and accuracy.
- Excellent communication skills as the position requires frequent interaction with directors across AAJ and from state affiliates.
- Ability to work independently daily.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Some travel may be required.
To apply, please email your resume, cover letter and salary requirements to HR@justice.org. EOE.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE!
Director of Education
The American Association for Justice (AAJ®), formerly the Association of Trial Lawyers of America (ATLA®), is seeking to fill the Director of Education position for its Education Department. The ideal candidate will have a J.D. and some legal experience as a practicing lawyer.
The Director of Education is responsible for directing and managing AAJ’s continuing legal education programs, working closely with a board of trustees and nationally recognized speakers.
- Manage education department staff, and work with the Board of Trustees, course advisors, and faculty in the design, planning, budgeting, marketing, implementing, and evaluating of CLE programs.
- Serve as the liaison to the Board of Trustees and its subcommittees.
- Conduct long-range planning, policy development, implementation, and evaluation of CLE programs.
- Guide the development of content for CLE programs, including researching and evaluating CLE programs offered by competing providers.
- Conduct needs assessment of members and lead the development of new education content, including recruiting high-profile qualified faculty and promoting diversity in programming.
- Develop and manage department budget.
- Evaluate sponsorship and exhibitor opportunities, working closely with AAJ’s business development department.
- Develop and maintain relationships with the state trial lawyer associations as well as with AAJ member groups, committees, and vendors.
- Monitor, recommend, and implement emerging learning technologies and techniques, including traditional, e-learning, podcasts, webinars, and livestreaming.
- Prepare and present reports about the Education department and CLE programs to the Board, staff, and AAJ officers and members.
- Work in tandem with AAJ’s marketing and membership departments to recruit and retain members.
- Work with AAJ’s meeting and conventions team and third-party vendors to review and evaluate contract proposals for CLE programs.
- Oversee staff executing a nationwide law student trial advocacy competition.
- B.A. degree required, J.D. and some legal experience as a practicing lawyer preferred.
- Minimum 7 years’ experience at a supervisory level.
- Experience supervising and coaching staff at various levels and managing relationships with members/customers and third-party vendors.
- Ability to operate strategically, identifying and leveraging opportunities for member education by developing and leading continuing legal education programs.
- Strong leadership, supervisory, budgetary, project management, curriculum development, and organizational skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, analytical, and oral/ written communications skills.
- Experience working effectively with association/organization leaders and committees.
- Must be a detail-oriented leader and able to demonstrate innovation and initiative, good judgment, and manage multiple projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Prior association and/or non-profit experience is a plus.
- Experience with event planning and working with volunteers is a plus.
- Some travel to meetings and events is required.
Please email resume, cover letter and salary requirements to HR@justice.org . EOE.