Deputy Director of Marketing
Deputy Director of Marketing
The American Association for Justice (AAJ®) is seeking a Deputy Director of Marketing for its Marketing department. AAJ seeks to promote a fair and effective civil justice system—and to support the work of attorneys in their efforts to ensure that any person who is injured by the misconduct or negligence of others can obtain justice in America’s courtrooms, even when taking on the most powerful interests.
The Deputy Director of Marketing is responsible for managing and supporting marketing operations and campaigns across the association, to include membership retention and promotion of member communities, and development, delivery, and sales related to our products and services (such as AAJ Membership and member benefits, AAJ Education programs, AAJ Press ®, Litigation Packets, and AAJ conventions).
• Manage the association’s creative campaigns, ensuring campaigns are created, developed, and delivered to meet the association’s goals and objectives.
• Supervise three direct reports, providing training, mentoring, and strategic direction.
• Develop and manage marketing for membership retention campaigns. Advise on recruitment efforts from a marketing point of view and support efforts of regional membership staff.
• Analyze membership strategies/results to develop and implement changes and/or new campaigns to engage and retain members.
• Write copy for various campaigns and edit the work of others.
• Create campaign audiences; mining data for customer insights.
• Serve as project manager for assigned internal departments.
• Develop materials such as print and web ads, online content, social media messaging, brochures, exhibit collateral, direct mail, and emails; collaborate on creative direction.
• Use AAJ’s content management system to develop and maintain membership related webpages.
• Consult with members, association officers, internal stakeholders, and vendors on new strategies and messaging.
• Work in conjunction with the Associate Director of Marketing Analytics on analysis and presentation of marketing analytics of email, direct mail, social media, and other communication channels.
• Manage relationships with external vendors for printing, fulfillment, mail house services, list brokers and other marketing-related activities.
• Collaborate with Marketing Director to assist in Marketing Department operations, provide ongoing support, mentorship, leadership, professional development guidance, and performance reviews as needed.
• Bachelor’s degree preferably in Business, Marketing, or Communications. MBA or
related advanced degree a plus.
• Minimum 5-7 years of experience at an association or agency.
• Demonstrated experience in managing, coaching, and mentoring employees.
• Experience in direct mail, mass email, list management, membership retention, and
• Proven ability to effectively manage multiple projects and meet tight deadlines in a
• Experience shooting and editing video.
• Strong copywriting, editing, and proofreading skills.
• Intermediate to advanced skills in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Google Analytics (or
similar web analytics platform), and online content management system (Drupal or
• Ability to travel to AAJ’s conventions and other assigned events as required (less
AAJ offers competitive salaries and excellent benefits. Plus, we’re across from the Capital
One Arena, a block from the Shakespeare Theatre Company, near museums, food trucks,
cool shops on F street, independent coffee shops, a movie theater, and bowling alley.
Please email cover letter, salary requirements and resume to: email@example.com. EOE. No phone calls please.