LGBT Caucus Scholarship
The LGBT Caucus is committed to supporting trial lawyers who are part of the LGBT community.
To further the their outreach, the caucus has created a convention scholarship. This scholarship allows a trial lawyer member of the LGBT community to attend AAJ's annual convention, as well as provide a travel stipend to offset attendance related costs.
AAJ's annual conventions are the best ways to connect AAJ trial lawyers plus offers unparalleled community, networking, and education. The caucus is thrilled to offer this opportunity to attend.
What is the scholarship criteria?
This scholarship is open to any plaintiff attorney who:
- Self-identifies as LGBTQIA;
- Is a current member of AAJ or is eligible/meets the criteria to become an AAJ member*;
- Has been practicing law for five years or less;
- Shows a dedication to access to justice, the principles of the Constitution, and the advancement of individual rights; and
- Commits to attend the AAJ Annual Convention and all LGBT caucus events at convention.
Special consideration will be given to those who:
- Demonstrate a financial need;
- Demonstrate an interest and proficiency in trial advocacy skills;
- Demonstrate a commitment to and engagement in diversity and inclusion initiatives; and
- Commit to attending future AAJ and/or LGBT Caucus events (e.g. membership drives, PAC drives, CLE programs, STAC judge participation)
How do I apply?
Applicants should submit their resume along with a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please be sure to address the scholarship criteria and any special considerations in your cover letter.
Thank You to Our Donors
The LGBT Scholarship is possible through generous donations by AAJ members and firms.
Founding Firm Donors: Arias Sanguinetti Wang Torrijos LLP; Buckingham Barrera Vega Law Firm; Gibbs Law Group LLP; and Alexandra Lozano Immigration Law
Founding Individual Donors: Elizabeth Cabraser; Brenda S. Fulmer; Casey Johnson; Shenoa Payne; Bruce Plaxen; Stephen Skinner; Laura Yaeger; and Zachary Wool
* Membership criteria is available here. In the event the recipient is not yet an AAJ member, the scholarship will include a one year AAJ membership.
AAJ’s Annual and Winter Conventions are the largest gathering of top trial lawyers and offer exceptional education, informative meetings, and comradery with colleagues.Learn more
While the LGBT Caucus is AAJ's newest caucus, it has grown quickly. All AAJ members who identify as a member of the LGBT community, or as an ally, are welcome.Learn more