Trial Advocacy College: Essentials of Civil Litigation
University of Utah College of Law | Salt Lake City, UT
Sponsored by Lisa Blue and Williams Kherkher
About the College:
Opening statements, direct and cross-examinations, and closing arguments are key trial skills, but are rarely effectively covered in law schools. AAJ Education's Trial Advocacy College: Essentials of Civil Litigation focuses on foundational skills through interactive workshops where faculty provide guidance and instant feedback. Learn the critical skills you'll need to excel throughout your career in this intensive program, where you'll work with experienced trial lawyers and consultants.
At the end of this program, you will have the confidence to effectively litigate your next case. For those with limited or no courtroom experience this program is a must. You will see a significant before-and-after change in your pretrial and trial skills.
Our effective training method has several critical features:
• Four workshops, including opening statements, direct examination, cross-examination, and closing argument, in which your performance is recorded practicing what you have learned in lectures
• Feedback from experienced trial lawyers and trial consultants—on camera—for you to take home
• Low student-to-faculty ratio for more individualized attention
$1,095 for AAJ Members
$1,295 for Non-member Plaintiff Attorneys
- If you are an AAJ member and have been admitted to the bar for ten years or less, you can attend the Essentials College for 25% off. (Does not apply if you have previously attended an AAJ Education seminar or college.) Discount not available online--please call 800-622-1791 to register.
- Register two or more lawyers from your firm at the same time, and take $70 off the registration fee for each registrant. Discount not available online--please call 800-622-1791 to register.
Contact Education 800.622.1791 | 202.965.3500, ext. 8612 | email@example.com
Thursday, March 7
8:00 - 8:30am
8:30am - 12:00pm
• Developing and Executing a Case Strategy
• Voir Dire: Deselecting Jurors
• Winning Techniques from the Beginning: Storytelling and Putting Together the Framework in Opening
• Opening Statement Demonstration
Workshop Introductions/Orientation and Lunch
12:00 - 1:00pm
1:00 - 5:15pm
• Workshop on Opening Statements
5:45 - 7:30pm
Friday, March 8
8:00 - 8:30am
8:30am - 12:30pm
• Ethical Dilemmas: Dealing with the Rambo Litigator (Ethics)
• Workshop on Direct Examination
12:30 - 1:30pm
1:30 - 5:30pm
• Crafting the Closing and Rebuttal Argument
• Closing Demonstration
• Workshop on Cross-Examination
Saturday, March 9
8:00 - 8:30am
8:30am - 12:30pm
• Workshop on Closing Argument
N. John Bey, course advisor
N. John Bey
Bey & Associates, LLC
Atlanta, GA 30303
The Law Office of Andrew Caple-Shaw
Nashville, TN 37206
Jacquelynn D. Carmichael, course advisor
Jacquelynn D. Carmichael
Eisenberg, Cutt, Kendell & Olson
Salt Lake City, UT 84111
Heidi A. DiLorenzo
Heidi A. DiLorenzo
Alexander Shunnarah Injury Attorneys, P.C.
Birmingham, AL 35222
J.D. Hays, Jr.
JD Hays, Jr.
J.D. Hays, Attorney at Law
Rogers, AR 72758
Zachary Mandell, course advisor
Mandell, Boisclair & Mandell, Ltd.
Providence, RI 02903
Thomas Law Offices, PLLC
Louisville, KY 40059
AAJ has a limited number of rooms available at the Salt Lake City Marriott University Park at a special group rate of $120 per night for single and double occupancy, plus any applicable taxes (currently 12.92%) and fees. To reserve a room, click HERE or call the Salt Lake City Marriott University Park reservation line at 1-800-228-9290 and state that you are booking with the American Association for Justice. For cancellations or alterations to existing reservations, contact the hotel directly. AAJ is not responsible for cancellation or early departure fees.
The cut-off date for reservations at the Salt Lake City Marriott University Park is February 21, 2019.
Salt Lake City Marriott University Park
480 Wakara Way
Salt Lake City, UT 84108
Tel: (801) 581-1000
- 28.25 hours of continuing legal education credit, including one hour of ethics, which can be applied towards AAJ's professional recognition programs
- Recorded workshops with personalized critiques
- Comprehensive reference materials provided on a USB drive
- Complimentary daily continental breakfast and coffee
- Networking reception and one complimentary working lunch
This college is open to AAJ members (Regular, Life, Sustaining, President’s Club, and Leaders Forum) and is designed for trial lawyers at all levels of experience. For more information about eligibility requirements, please contact AAJ Education directly.
Call us. We'll provide you with names and phone numbers of previous attendees of AAJ Education programs who will be pleased to answer your questions. Or, if you prefer to speak with a course advisor or faculty member, we will arrange that as well. Call 800.622.1791 or 202.965.3500, extension 8612.
AAJ has filed for CLE/MCLE credit in the appropriate jurisdictions. In many jurisdictions, final approval is not available prior to the program and contingent upon approval from state bars and/or MCLE boards. Total available credit hours may vary by jurisdiction. AAJ Education programs are routinely accredited by states requiring continuing legal education. CLE questions may be addressed by reading our FAQ or calling the CLE Assistant at 800-424-2725, ext. 9604 or 202-965-3500, ext. 9604.
Click here to learn more about AAJ's Professional Recognition Programs, Achievement Recognition Program (ARP) and Advanced Studies in Trial Advocacy (ASTA), or call 800.622.1791 or 202.965.3500, ext. 9594. The Achievement Recognition Program (ARP) provides Advocate, Fellow, and Diplomate recognition to AAJ members. To gain ARP credits, submit a certificate of attendance for every seminar, college, and convention you attend.
* Number of credits may vary depending on calculation method used by individual state accreditation agencies. AAJ is a State Bar of California MCLE-approved provider.
AAJ Education will make every effort to ensure that its meetings are held in facilities that are fully accessible to persons with mobility disabilities. If you plan to attend our program and need special facilities or assistance relating to a disability, please call 800-622-1791 or 202-965-3500, ext. 8612.
Cancellations received in writing on or before February 20, 2019, will result in a refund less a 10% administrative charge. Cancellations received in writing February 21-27, 2019, will result in a voucher for 50% of the registration fee, which may be applied toward any AAJ Education college, seminar, or webinar held within one calendar year of the date of issue. Requests for refunds or vouchers received within one week of the program will not be honored. AAJ is not responsible for any room cancellation fees or other travel fees which result from your cancellation. Cancellation requests must be made in writing. Fax or email your cancellation letter to the registrar at 202-625-7084 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please consider a donation to the AAJ Education Fund 501(c)(3). Contributions support educational programs and activities to preserve and protect the civil justice system. Learn more>>
The American Association for Justice reserves the right to, in its sole discretion, refuse entrance to the event and/or remove any individual from the event whose behavior is disruptive and/or is not consistent with the character and purpose of the event. All American Association for Justice badges are the property of the American Association for Justice and must be returned upon request.
By registering for this AAJ Education program, you agree to receive electronic, written, and telephonic communication from AAJ staff regarding the program and to have your name, firm, city, and state included on the participant and exhibitor/sponsor roster. AAJ may also need to contact you to service your membership record or to provide you with information about your membership, products and services, and advocacy and legislative updates. By providing your contact information, including phone number, fax number, and email address, you consent and give permission for AAJ to contact you by any of those means, which may include calls to your mobile phone, faxes, or emails. You may contact AAJ at any time to change your preferences.