Hot Topics Special Edition: Diversity in the Law Seminar
Charlotte Marriott City Center | Charlotte, NC
Co-Presented with AAJ’s LGBT Caucus, Minority Caucus, and Women Trial Lawyer Caucus
Sponsored by CAMG & Counsel Financial
Sponsored by Lisa Blue and Williams Kherkher
About the Seminar:
AAJ Education, working with AAJ’s LGBT Caucus, Minority Caucus, and Women Trial Lawyer Caucus, will shine a spotlight on the importance of diversity in the law. On November 29 and 30, join judges and prominent AAJ members in Charlotte, NC, to discuss the importance of diversity in the trial bar and explore avenues to promote diversity and inclusion both in the bar and the communities AAJ members serve. This seminar will increase awareness and understanding of the hurdles LGBT, minority, and women plaintiff attorneys face, as well as provide for extensive resource building and networking.
$695 for AAJ and NCAJ Members | $275 for each additional member at the same firm
$795 for nonmembers | $375 for each additional nonmember at the same firm
North Carolina Advocates for Justice members register at the AAJ Member rate! Call 800-622-1791 for more information.
Not a member of the AAJ? Call AAJ Education at 800-622-1791 to register.
- You can attend your first AAJ Education Seminar at 50% off, if you are an AAJ member & have been admitted to the bar for five years or less. (Does not apply if you have previously attended an AAJ Education seminar or college). Discount not available online, please call AAJ Education to take advantage of this offer.
- AAJ Paralegal Affiliates may attend this seminar and receive 50% off the registration fee if they are employed by, and attending with, an AAJ plaintiff attorney with the same firm address. Discount not available online, please call AAJ Education to take advantage of this offer.
Contact Education 800.622.1791 | 202.965.3500, ext. 8612 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Tuesday, November 29
LGBT Caucus Membership Phone Drive
9:00am - 2:00pm
Litigation Group Business Meetings
2:30 - 5:30pm
5:30 - 7:00pm
Wednesday, November 30
8:00 - 8:30am
8:30am - 12:30pm
• History of HB2 and the Conception of AAJ's Diversity Seminar
• Internal and External Foals for Equity and Inclusion: Diversity Committees and Mitigating Explicit and Implicit Bias in Associate Recruitment
• Diversity in Mass Tort Leadership
• A View from the Bench: Judges Panel
12:15 - 1:15pm
1:15 - 5:00pm
• The Importance of Mentoring and Being Mentored
• Minority Issues in the Public Spotlight: How Public Perception Can Affect Your Jury
• Ethical Dilemmas in the Perpetuation of Unfair Stereotypes of Wmen & How to Change the Dialogue
• Life and Litigation After North Carolina Enacted the Public Facilities Privacy and Security Act - A Story from the Frontline
Hon. Ardra L. Bey
N. John Bey
Hon. Wanda G. Bryant
Erin K. Copeland
Kimberly A. Dougherty
Yvonne M. Flaherty
Richard D. Hailey
Kate E. Jaycox
Kristina N. Kastl
Hon. Hugh B. Lewis
Annika K. Martin
Danielle W. Mason
Ellen A. Presby
Aimee Hall Wagstaff
Sean L. Walton
Navan Ward, Jr.
Laura V. Yaeger
AAJ has a limited number of rooms available at the Charlotte Marriott City Center at a special group rate of $209 per night for single or double occupancy, plus any applicable taxes and fees. Accommodations are based on availability. To reserve a room, please CLICK HERE or contact Marriott Reservations at (800) 359-3204 and ask for the American Association for Justice rate. The cut-off date for reservations is Tuesday, November 8th or until the block is sold out.
Charlotte Marriott City Center
100 West Trade Street
Charlotte, NC 28202
Phone: (704) 333-9000
JPML HEARING LOCATION:
Western District Court of North Carolina
401 West Trade Street
Charlotte, NC 28202
Approximately 0.2 miles from hotel
- Approximately 6 continuing legal education credits, which can be applied towards AAJ’s professional recognition programs
- Reference materials on a USB drive
- Complimentary continental breakfast and coffee
- Networking Reception
This is an open program—invite a plaintiff trial lawyer colleague! Nonmembers can register by calling AAJ Education at 800.622.1791 or 202.965.3500, ext. 8612.
Charlotte Marriott City Center
100 W Trade St.
Call us. We'll provide you with names and phone numbers of previous attendees of AAJ Education programs who will be pleased to answer your questions. Or, if you prefer to speak with a course advisor or faculty member, we will arrange that as well. Call 800.622.1791 or 202.965.3500, ext. 8612.
AAJ has filed for MCLE credit in the appropriate jurisdictions. Registered participants can receive 6 CLE* credits depending on the jurisdiction and will be applied to your participation in AAJ’s professional recognition programs. AAJ Education programs are routinely accredited by states requiring continuing legal education. CLE questions may be addressed by reading the FAQ calling the CLE Coordinator at 800-622-1791, ext. 8335 or 202-965-3500, ext. 8335.
Click here to learn more about AAJ's Professional Recognition Programs, Achievement Recognition Program (ARP) and Advanced Studies in Trial Advocacy (ASTA), or call 800.622.1791 or 202.965.3500, ext. 8335.
The Achievement Recognition Program (ARP) provides Advocate, Fellow, and Diplomate recognition to AAJ members. To gain ARP credits, submit a certificate of attendance for every seminar, college, and convention you attend.
* Number of credits may vary depending on calculation method used by individual state accreditation agencies. AAJ is a State Bar of California MCLE-approved provider.
AAJ Education will make every effort to ensure that its meetings are held in facilities that are fully accessible to persons with mobility disabilities. If you plan to attend our program and need special facilities or assistance relating to a disability, please call 800-622-1791 or 202-965-3500, ext. 8612.
Cancellations received by November 21, 2016 will result in a refund less a 10% administrative charge. Cancellations received November 22 - 27, 2016 will result in a voucher for the entire registration fee, which may be applied toward an AAJ Education college, seminar, or webinar held within one calendar year of the date of issue. Requests for refunds or vouchers received within 48 hours of the program will not be honored. AAJ is not responsible for any room cancellation fees or other travel fees which may result from your cancellation. Cancellation requests must be made in writing. Fax or email your cancellation letter to the registrar at 202-625-7084 or email@example.com.
Please consider a donation to the AAJ Education Fund 501(c)(3). Contributions support educational programs and activities to preserve and protect the civil justice system. Learn more>>
The American Association for Justice reserves the right to, in its sole discretion, refuse entrance to the event and/or remove any individual from the event whose behavior is disruptive and/or is not consistent with the character and purpose of the event. All American Association for Justice badges are the property of the American Association for Justice and must be returned upon request.
By registering for this AAJ Education program, you agree to receive electronic, written, and telephonic communication from AAJ staff regarding the program and to have your name, firm, city, and state included on the participant and exhibitor/sponsor roster. AAJ may also need to contact you to service your membership record or to provide you with information about your membership, products and services, and advocacy and legislative updates. By providing your contact information, including phone number, fax number, and email address, you consent and give permission for AAJ to contact you by any of those means, which may include calls to your mobile phone, faxes, or emails. You may contact AAJ at any time to change your preferences.