Creating Change: an Introductory Primer for Police Misconduct and Civil Rights Cases Webinar
Tuesday, June 16, 2020
2:00 - 2:05 p.m.
2:05 - 2:20
Let's Take a Breath to Heal Our Country
- What Can Trial Lawyers Do to Help?
- How Can the Justice and Policing Systems Be Improved?
- Where Do I Learn More Information About These Issues?
2:20 - 2:40 p.m.
Navigating Land Mine Issues with Client Representation
- Representing Clients with Criminal Charges
- Varying Types of Injuries
- Navigating the Media in Highly Publicized Cases
2:40 - 3:00 p.m.
Pleading Basics for Civil Rights and Police Misconduct Civil Cases
- Factual Pleading Standards for §1983 Cases
- Surviving a Motion to Dismiss
- Common Causes of Action in Police Misconduct Cases
- Integrating State Law Claims
3:00 - 3:25 p.m.
Best Practicing for Dealing with Municipal Defendants
- Overview of Policy and Custom "Monell" Pleadings
- Engaging Police
- Officer Complaints
- Citizen Review Boards
3:25 - 3:40 p.m.
Common Issues in Police Misconduct and Civil Rights Cases
- Preparing and Working Around the Absence of Reliable Evidence
- Coverage for Damages
- Discovery, Proportionality and Bifurcation Issues
- Surviving Summary Judgement
- Disarming Juror Biases
3:40 - 4:30 p.m.
Representing Protesters in Criminal Court
- Intake: Should I Take This Case or Refer it Out?
- Know Your Statute: Is Your State a "Bail Reform" Jurisdiction
- Felony Hearings
- Getting Your Client Released Pre-Trial
- Motions to Dismiss
- Discovery and Knowing Your Deadlines
4:30 - 4:45 p.m.
Qualified Immunity: What's Happening on the Hill?
4:45 - 5:00 p.m.
Question & Answer Session